EDIT: This skybox was @ Sanarae 13 that just closed today. Might take some time for it to be in Mainstore
Decking out a Man Cave is always so much fun. Whenever I have to dig for items to decorate a masculine space (or at least, masculine-ish to me), I always find hidden gems in my messy Inventory.😀
You know, it’s great being a girl. Love it. It’s even awesome being a girl in SL, because almost every store and every event seems to cater to my gender.
When I made a malt, I thought it’d be fun to dress him up. Let me tell ya, shopping for dudes are not easy! There are top notch brands and events out there with menstuff, but there are not a lot of them. No wonder men in SL end up looking like near carbon copies of each other, they don’t have a huge pool of sources to dip into.
Except for splurging on a mesh body and head, my malt has remained topless.
Let’s pretend it’s because I can’t find anything for him to wear *cough*. No, seriously speaking, it’s because I couldn’t find an outfit that is ‘normcore normal’. I’m not into dressing my malt as a fratboy. I also have zero interest in dressing him as if he’s an alumni of an English boarding school. It seems like the prevalent looks and offerings in SL nowadays are limited to this two polar looks…or the more likely explanation is that I’m not looking hard enough given the dearth of content made for men. Probably cos I’m too busy looking at the malt’s abs. You didn’t hear that from me.
K, let’s erm…move on to my attempt to shine the spotlight on male stuff inSL.
Obviously, I’m going to start with a topic I’m most comfortable with: decor.
“Where to find mancave stuff in SL?”
“Sick of shabby chic, I need masculine decor!”
“HELLO, CAN I HAVE A COUCH THAT IS NOT PASTEL THANK YOU”
Ok, ok, we got this. Here are awesome places with a good selection of male-friendly homestuff, in terms of color pallete and aesthetics. (Skybox-only makers excluded).
What do I define as ‘good selection’? It’s when you can spot a number of male-friendly or male-usable stuff as soon as you land inworld. Instead of, you know, having to shift through 100000000 other products in the store to find maybe just one or two, you feel me?
And emphasis on inworld because if you browse some of the creators Flickr currently, you might think I’m nuts or don’t know the definition of ‘masculine’.
As usual, all links are correct at time of writing.
- Pilot – Flickr | LM
- Epia – Flickr | LM
- Revival – Flickr | LM
- Ex Machina – Flickr | LM
- Junk – Flickr | LM
- 22769~[bauwerk] – Flickr 1 | Flickr 2 | LM
- N4RS – Flickr | LM
- Kunst – Flickr | LM
- CerberusXing – Flickr | LM
- Concentrating more on avatar accessories currently, but go towards the back where the homestuff are.
- Contraption – Flickr | LM
- Standby Inc – Flickr | MP
- Note: creator hardly in SL due to RL, so Customer Service might not be prompt
- Consignment – Flickr | LM
- 7 Emporium – Flickr | LM
- Balaclava – Flickr | LM
- Soy – Flickr | LM
- Maru Kado – Flickr | LM
- Not intentionally ‘male-centric’. Maru Kado aesthetics is more ascetic and Japanese Zen.
- Toro – FB Page| LM
- ARIA –Flickr | LM
- Nearly everything ARIA makes comes with texture change options. So, even if an item is not overtly masculine at first glance, check the texture change options.
- Theosophy – Flickr | LM
- Pixel Mode – Flickr | LM
- ADD Nomad – Flickr | LM
Most major events do include unisex items. However, I’m only listing events that are very specifically for men.
- The Men’s Department – 5th of every month. The region also hosts stores that caters to male avatars
- Men only Monthly– 20th of every month.
- Run by the folks from Flair for Events, check out the Men Only page for more information on Men only Monthly and Men only Hunt.
- They used to run Men Only Sale too, but it looks like that event is currently on hiatus.
- Boys of Summer – Annually, in…well, summer.😀
- For dates, check out the event runner’s page Depraved Events.
- Generally, any Depraved Events are awesome for guys because there are good selection of male-specific content.
- Most of my hetero-coupling friends are big fans of Depraved Events because they can have romantic shopping day out, instead of having the boyfriends/husbands standing idly and commenting on demos LOL😀
Subscription boxes in SL are kinda like the ones we have in RL. Berry have a detailed information about all the subscription boxes currently in SL.
Men-centric subscription boxes so far?
Swagbag: Works by subscription kiosks. Crate is distributed to subscribers automatically on the 1st of each month. To subscribe, pay any Swagbag kiosks 1500L each month before the next one rolls around (For example, to get November Swagbag, pay the kiosk 1500L in October. Paying in October will not entitle you to the October crate.).
I love that you can even buy Gift Card to gift subscription to someone else. Check out some cool Swagbag unboxing videos:
- Strawberry Singh – Swagbag August | Swagbag September | Swagbag Oct
- Darren Coulbourn – Swagbag August | Swagbag Sept | Swagbag Oct
- J.O.N.U – Swagbag August (Spanish)
Treasure Chest: New! This fantasy/RP subscription box debuted a few days ago. Caveat: It’s not specifically for men. So why am I even mentioning it? Because if this first round is any indication of future rounds, that means a good portion of the items will work for both men and women avi. Join the Treasure Chest inworld group for 1500L between the (dates). On (date), group enrollment will close and the box will be distributed via group notice on the 23rd. You can check out some Treasure chest unboxing videos here:
- Strawberry Singh’s Treasure Chest Unboxing
- Cassie Middle’s Treasure Chest Unboxing
- Alicia Chenaux’s Treasure Chest Unboxing
- Harmony Sandalphone’s Treasure Chest Unboxing
- Morgana Hilra’s Treasure Chest Unboxing
For both Swagbag and Treasure Chest, the actual contents of the crate is kept secret until distribution day.
If you missed the enrollment/subscription period but would still like to have the items, crates are available for double the price.
As far as I am aware, items in the crate are exclusive to the particular crate, but designers can release a different coloured version outside of the crate.
Let me preface this list by saying that there are a lot of exceptional male avatars who takes awesome pictures. Some of them are photographers (or pixographers, however you nitpicky folks like to say it) and not bloggers per se. Their end goal is self-expression and art instead of information. So I’ve excluded those.
Here’s a non-exhaustive list of male avatars who are current active bloggers (means they take pics and write out credits/info specifically for other people to copy the looks). These are just a few of them. There are so many talented male bloggers out there it’ll take me forever to list ’em.😀
Also, thanks Faith for suggesting some of these!😀
- Ralphy Lykin – Flickr | Blog
- Loki Necromancer – Flickr | Blog
- Frankey Swain – Flickr | Blog
- Sunny Valentine – Flickr
- Tyler Oysternatz – Flickr
- Gui Andretti – Flickr | Blog
- El…Bond – Flickr | Blog
- Raphael Cyberstar – Flickr | Blog
- Hikaru Enimo – Flickr | Blog
- Parker Droverson – Flickr | Blog
- Luka Requiem – Flickr | Blog
- Fei Vandetta – Flickr | Blog
- Brandon Taselian – Flickr
Publication & Feeds
L’Homme Magazine: I LOVE this mag. Production value is superb. Published every February, May, August and November.
Pour SL Homme Feed: As far as I am aware, there is no direct affiliation between L’Homme Magazine and Pour SL Homme Feed. Anyway, this feed is great to see a huge variety of male bloggers’ blog posts in one spot.
I have a love-hate relationship with Flickr groups. On one hand, it’s great to join a group that caters to specific niches. On the other hand, a lot of bloggers like to SPAM their irrelevant-to-the-group pictures in groups. Don’t do that, mmkay? That is annoying as hell.
So here’s a list of heavily moderated Flickr Groups for SL Men.
- Men with Attitude
- New for Men (for creators to post their ads)
- Second Life Sexy & Hot Men Only!! (Note: That is verbatim the name of the group, and I did not just added double exclamation marks for emphasis!)
- Male Avatars and Male Fashion in Second Life
- *Men Who Make Us Saw Wow!* – One of the strictest group out there, they’re men only. No girlfriends, no female friends etc.
Phew, after a long hiatus from blogging, I sure do ramble on, don’t I?
This was a long blog post but I hope it was a helpful long blog post.😀
Ok. See you in another 6 months!
(I kid, I kid. Maybe more like 3 years)
(No, really. I kid.)